According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2019, there were over 700 reported traffic crashes in Texas school zones. Based on these crashes, TxDOT reported one death and fifteen serious injuries occurring in one school year.
Children can be impulsive, so drivers need to be extra vigilant while being around child pedestrians, bicyclists, and others in school zones. The most common causes of each crash were:
Before students return to school, here are some safe driving tips to follow in school zones:
- Stay alert and put your phone away. It is against the law to use an electronic device while driving in a school zone
- Obey all school zone signs
- Drop off and pick up your children in school designated areas, not in the middle of the street
- Keep an eye out for children gathered around buses
- Watch for children who might dart across the street between vehicles
Following these simple tips can help children reach their school safely and, drivers become more aware.
Accidents are unexpected and can happen at any time. If you or a loved one have sustained injuries by a motor vehicle while walking on a crosswalk, contact a Hilliard Martinez & Gonzales Law Firm attorney at (361)882-1612 or visit our website at https://hmg.parscalecloud.com