10-year-old boy from Springfield, Illinois
A 10-year-old boy from Springfield, Illinois, was involved in a fatal ATV accident. On Monday, August 2, 2021, this young boy was pronounced dead after suffering a blunt force head trauma from the accident. He passed away in the emergency room at HSHS St. John’s Hospital.
27-year-old man from Lake Wateree, South Carolina
Another ATV fatality occurred in Lake Wateree, South Carolina. A 27-year-old was driving a 2018 Polaris ATV when he crossed the center line and drove off to the left side of the road. The driver was ejected from the ATV and died on the scene. According to the Highway Patrol report, the driver was not wearing a helmet.
Hardin County Sheriff’s Deputy and his 7-year-old daughter
Over the weekend, in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, a Hardin County Sheriff’s Deputy was involved in a fatal ATV accident while off duty. The deputy was driving his ATV around his home when he lost control. He went off the road and crashed into a fence. His passenger, his 7-year-old daughter, also sustained severe personal injuries in the accident.
ATV accidents are hazardous; however, some people believe that the fun in riding these vehicles outweighs any possible downside. Knowing the ATV rules and laws keep you and those around you safe to avoid a severe accident.
The guidelines include:
- Always wear a DOT-complaint helmet, goggles, long-sleeves, long pants, high-ankle boots, and gloves.
- Only ride your ATV on off-roads, never paved roads except where you must cross one. ATVs are designed to ride on off-roads and are often difficult to control on paved roads.
- Never drive an ATV under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV
- Supervise riders younger than 16
- Ride an ATV that is right for your age
- Take a hands-on ATV Rider Course and a free online E-Course
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries in an ATV accident, please get in touch with an HMG personal injury attorney.